Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Day 1 of AO

What a long day it has been. I would really like to curl up under the covers in my temporary bed right now but I think it should write this post or else I won't remember everything tomorrow. It's been a while since my last proper recap of a day at the tennis. So day, Day 1 of the 2010 Australian Open. At the hotel room I see a live cross to Melbourne Park and theres some rain drops on the window, looked behind the curtains and it confirmed my fears. Rain. After getting ready we left the hotel and I only had thongs on, I didn't bring socks or sneakers so my feet were so cold and the ground was so slippery so i had to buy new socks and shoes! Then we went to Melbourne park, it was just about 15 minute walk. The tennis is so close to the CBD. Its not like that for the Sydney tournament. You can't walk from Olympic Park to the city, it will take you hours and you aren't allowed to walk on the motorway lol. 

Ok firstly I really hate Melbourne weather. They say you get 4 seasons in one day here and that has lived up to the expectation for the 2 days i've been here. Rain, cloud, sun, wind. So it was very frustrating for spectators, but more so for the players. So when play began I went to see Parmentier v Baltacha. That was one entertaining match. I don't like Elena's antics though, she would go to the corner and stand there for a few seconds as Pauline was going to serve so then Pauline would have to start her routine again. A few times Elena would yell out "wait" right before Pauline served, but I think Pauline served pretty good. She had a lot of aces. I saw Elena have soooo many foot faults but the linesmen only called her for it 3 times :( Kind of obvious that the 2 girls don't like each other. One time one of Elena's shots hit the net (like it did alot of times) then they both exchanged some words but I didn't hear it. The crowd management was extremely poor on the part of the AO. People were walking into the stands all the time. So disruptive to the players. After a rain delay during the match, Elena calls the trainer a couple times and then near the end the wind was so gusty. It was just a case of luck as to who would win. Elena won 7-5 in the third then Pauline goes to the seat and smashes her racquet onto the court 3 times and I think she was crying, she walked off the court so fast. I've never seen anything like it. She just left the broken racquet and her jacket and just took her bag and bolted. On the other hand Elena was lying on the court like she had won the tournament. I don't think they even shook hands. Then I see Elena with all smiles and taking pics with fans as she made her way to the shed. :( The umpire took the racquet and I took a pic of it. Will post it tomorrow! 

So after the disappointment it rains again. I hate that the practice courts are so far from the main outside courts. Technically they aren't so far but they fence off the short cut for accredited access only so it is quite a walk. Didn't really see many players practicing though. Just Chakky and Domi hitting together in the morning, Flavia running out of the rain, Sorana (lol at first I was thinking who is she?? then i realised it was Sorana first person I thought of was Rik haha), saw Dent and 4 pairs of doubles pairings. 

Back to matches and I see Chakky v Flavs. Anna was doing so well. Her serve was great but then an epic collapse and Flavia wins. She hurries out of the court almost as fast as Pauline did. I saw her sign a fans ball right before she went into the shed which was nice of her, she was very disappointed understandably. Then some more rain, saw abit of Tomic's match but it was so cold. I haven't felt that cold since America. But I've been colder so it was ok lol. I can say i've experienced 1 degrees celcius haha. Then went to see the rest of Justine's match on the tv outside of Hisense. After that match was over went inside and saw the better Elena. Dementieva that is. She was supposed to be 3rd match of the day but ended up playing after 9pm! She beat Dushevina easily and signed a lot of autographs after the match. She is always nice. Carlos was watched the match until 5-2 ;) I don't know who to support for Elena v Justine, happy either way but hate watching those matches. 

No comments:

Post a Comment