Friday, January 13, 2012

Vika wins Sydney

This is it. Today was the women's final and my last day/night at the tournament for this year. It's been 8 days of hours and hours of watching serves, the ball, players, practice, walking around the grounds and whatever else I've been doing. The best days of the tournament to me are the qualifying days. I tend to like supporting the players outside of the top 25 more than those really famous ones. The atmosphere of the outside courts are better since you're much closer to the court compared to Centre court. Volunteering again has been a lot of fun, I've met some new people and some familiar faces. I even managed to convert this guy into a Voegele fan :D The down side to it was missing Stefi's match against Jovanovski and being forced to go to tennis on some days that I would rather just be sleeping at home. Overall it is well worth it, getting to see so much tennis this week for free. Money can't buy seats on the actual tennis court during the women's final. As I said to someone today, free tickets are the same as money to a tennis fan.

As for today, I didn't stay for very long. I had the mens doubles semi final match which Jarkko and Matt Ebden won. The night session had the women's final. I was so happy to see Vika winning. I'm not sure if I will volunteer next year but if I do it would be great to see Vika's picture in the tunnel when I walk down there again. It makes me happy to see Justine and Lena's pics whenever I walk past. I wish I could take a photo but there is a camera right in the corner of the tunnel so that would look really weird if I did!

Anyways it's been a really great week. I'm happy that Stefi and Victoria have continued to play well in Melbourne, with both winning their second qualifying matches today. I'm looking forward to following the tennis for the rest of the season. Hopefully I won't be as slack as last year, now that I have more gigabytes of internet. It's been fun blogging this week. Until the next time that I decide to do it again. Bye for now!

2 comments:

  1. "As I said to someone today, free tickets are the same as money to a tennis fan."
    I don't understand?
    -M :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was doing the stats next to a guy who was paid to be there and he didn't understand why I would volunteer for no money so I just told him being at the tennis is the same as getting paid ;) get it? haha

      Delete