Friday, January 6, 2012

Successful first day of qualies

Thank you for the comment in the previous post, Anon. I'm glad someone still reads this ;)

Okay, I'm back from a 7 and a half hours at the tennis. That is the number of hours I work on an average day. I can testify that being at the tennis is hard work because I'm a little tired right now, but it is only the first day of qualifying so I'm not that tired.

After raining all night last night it was grey and overcast the whole day today. Luckily it didn't rain at all and I didn't have to take off my jacket so I didn't need to apply sunscreen. The morning I felt really restless, walking around the courts seeing a few matches had begun and some players practicing. Nothing too exciting, I didn't want to sit at a match for too long in case I missed Stefi's practice. Seeing her practice and a victory were the two things I wanted to get out of today!

It was just perfect timing when I made my 3rd (or 4th) trip to the practice courts - yes, I was getting a bit paranoid. There was a girl there I didn't recognise waiting for someone to come hit with her. A few minutes later Stefi rocks up in her purple tracksuit. It was the funniest thing I've seen. I feel like such a stalker though. Commenting on her outfit then standing there during her whole practice taking photos, alone most of the time. Suddenly I had the thought that the other girl was Mandy Minella and after comparing the face to the WTA profile picture, surely it was her. After staying to watch the entire practice, I was satisfied and ready to start watching some tennis.

Saw a few bits of tennis here and there: Lepchenko losing the TB for the match to Kirilenko, almost an entire set of Ula v Peers. Sofia and Virginie winning. At 4 o'clock I had intended to see Cornet's match against Pirovarova after tossing up between that, Minella or Rus. I was heading to the bathroom when Stefi and her coach walked past me, towards the courts. Her match was supposed to be after Alizé's but it got moved so my whole plan was ruined. Disappointed that 4 players I wanted to see were all playing at once but it wasn't a choice. I have a favourite ;)

Stefi wins 6-3, 6-3 against this French girl I've never heard of before. My day was complete. I went home shortly after that.



No comments:

Post a Comment