Saturday, January 5, 2013

Angry and smile

My head hurts. It was so hot today, I even brought an umbrella to shade me but that wasn't much use because of the wind. This morning got off to a good start. I didn't arrive until about 11am and then watched a bit of practice. The first match I went to was between Falconi and Karolina Pliskova. This would be the third match from the twins that I've been to in the past two days.

Kristyna sat right beside me on the bench and a little later Johanna Larsson asked me if she could squeeze in. So I was in the Czech/Swede sandwich. Larsson was supporting Falconi, they have the same coach I think. Larsson's accent sounds American to me but she had to ask the coach what "variety" means and he told her she's a very interesting person :) Kristyna on the other hand was looking at her iphone most of the time. Karolina was angry, yelling at herself, throwing her racquet. It was such a weird feeling. You know how people say twins feel the same emotions as the other? Her sister would say words of support back to her in Czech. I'm surprised they don't have a coach. They are just there at each other's matches, in the morning I only saw one twin hitting. Towards the end of the match (it was like 4-3 in the second set), Kristyna left. When play resumed Karolina was looking at the bench and then around the stands to see where her sister was. Anyways, just thought that was a cool experience. Pliskova won in straight sets.

While this match was happening, on the other court a cute French guy, Pierre-Hugues Herbert, was going berserk. Yelling at himself and smashing his racquet into bits. The other tantrum I witnessed was Coco Vandeweghe. She was really hurling the abuse at herself (THIS IS NOT THAT HARD. I DON'T UNDERSTAND.) and also the umpire.

There were a lot of WTA players out there on the practice courts. On KRA: Kvitova v Petrova, Stosur, Kirilenko v Ula Radwanska, Ebden and then Dellacqua. There was a cool moment when a smiley face was drawn in the sky and Petra notices it and tells Nadia to look :)

Tomorrow the real tournament begins, well there are 4 round one women's matches and no free entry. My arms are already so tanned and it's only the second day!

2 comments:

  1. I love your story about sitting between Larsson and Pliskovas! :)
    Loving your pics too! :)

    ReplyDelete