Tuesday, January 8, 2013

43 degrees

So the talk of the day was about how hot it was today. It was understandably a lot emptier. The stands were maybe only 25 per cent full. It's so rigged that they put Tomic/Matosevic on after 6pm.

I arrived at the tennis centre after the first set between Errani and Kirilenko and by then it was already so hot. Errani won easily. It didn't look like the heat was affecting her at all. I then went to see a bit of Lopez/Chardy whilst waiting for the Cibulkova/Makarova match. Stayed for the first set of that. I tried so many things: jacket over my legs, umbrella, jacket over my head. It was just streaming hot and I needed to get out of the sun. I managed a few minutes in the shade before it was time for Kerber to play Voskoboeva.

Despite the heat, it wasn't that humid. The awful thing about the weather was the strong winds. It was blowing this warm air on and off. Voskoboeva had to call the medic who measured her blood pressure then she laid on the ground while her legs were getting iced. It's a credit to Kerber for having to sit through all the times her opponent was getting treatment. There were some terrible line calls against Kerber. She was getting so frustrated but as the match was within reach she started saying Komm jetzt and Come on :) Ultimately after saving a set point she was able to win the match, winning all five games since the medical time out.

I didn't want to stay for much longer and by then it was already past 4pm. The practice courts weren't full but I saw Parmentier, Harrison and Hantuchova there. After a bit more shade I went to see Bedene (he has the same agent as Babos, who was there but I wasn't sure who he was). Then I left.

It feels good to be home early for once. All I've been doing since Friday has been: waking up, eating, going to the tennis, coming home, eating, blogging, sleeping and repeat. My arms are so tanned now, it's a totally different skin colour compared to my stomach! There is one more day of Sydney for me. I can't wait to go to Melbourne and see different players to be honest. Apparently it'll be 41 degrees there on Friday?

2 comments:

  1. I think the tournament should have halted play until the temperature went below 40C.
    Are there lights available for night matches?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well rules are rules. Yeah there are a few lights but never seen them used.

      Delete