Sunday, January 19, 2014

Days 4 and 5, AO 2014

Very sorry for the lack of consistent blogging. The internet here is awful at night and even in the morning the connection still drops out. I'll continue the story..


Days 4 and 5

The heat wave continues over the past two days but now it is finally cooler. Thursday began on a low but ended well. In the morning I went to MCA to watch Cornet play against Giorgi. It was early in the second set when Erakovic lost to Diyas so I headed out to Court 13 to see Stefi play Cibulkova.

There weren’t many people at the match and most of them were Domi fans. I usually sit on the side opposite the chair so I can see the whole court but I didn’t want to face the sun so I sat with Ivo instead. He was coaching her from the side line I was surprised he didn’t get called out. Yelling out ‘return cross’ turning around and giving her instructions in German it was kind of hilarious. Throughout the whole match he was giving point by point commentary to Heinz.

The match didn’t go well at all. Domi was finishing all the short balls, making winners and winning the let cords. I have never seen Stefi lose this badly before.

It was a horrible feeling, I don’t know what is worse to lose a match playing poorly or lose a hard fought match.  I was gutted afterwards and didn’t even feel like watching any other matches.
Luckily the extreme heat ruling had been activated and new matches/sets wouldn’t commence for at least two hours so I took this opportunity to go back to the air conditioning in the hostel. 

The great thing about Melbourne Park is that it is so close to the city, just a 15 minute walk or a free tram ride. Everyone opted for the tram. Back at the hostel I was able to finish reading a book about an Australian women au-pairing in Paris. The ending was so disappointing. She just quit and that was it.

Anyways I went back outside at half past five. Had some food and went back to the tennis. I watched a bit of Dmitrov versus Lu and then Cornet’s doubles. There was so much lightning they suspended play. The Monfils match was moved to Hisense so I went there for most of that match. While inside we could hear the rain pouring outside. When the outside courts were finally dry it was 10.30pm and I watched a bit of Petko/Beck in doubles. Kyrgios versus Paire was about to begin.

The atmosphere was pretty cool. It was my first time seeing the Fanatics live.

I left at 1.45am and went to bed at 2.30am.

On Friday I arrived at Melbourne Park at 10.30am.

Instead of my original plan to watch Barthel I decided to see Janowicz play against Mayer. It was all about the serving.

A group of Canadians sat next to me. The Genie Army were annoying. As David calls them, her legion of horny fans hahaha. Davis didn’t play well against Bouchard.

Walked around, nothing to see on the practice courts so I went into a sponsor tent and some shops, saw the end of the Babos/Martic win over Cibulkova/Wickmayer.

MCA – Roger-Vasselin was playing well against Anderson. Saw two games of Monfils/Brown in doubles before Minella began. I was hoping she’d win because it would be fun to see her play against Stefi tomorrow but alas they lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment