Monday, January 13, 2014

AO 2014 Day 1

I'm really exhausted so I'll make it quick. Day 1 of the Australian Open. I was told one of the gates opened at 8am and ended up waking up extremely early this morning (before 5am) so I got there for the 8am opening. It was an area with practice courts 24-28 and the national tennis centre which contained seven indoor courts. Pretty cool discovering this place as I didn't know about it before. The highlight of the morning was watching Tony Roche coach this girl called Sam on her volleys. 

The highlight in terms of the tennis was seeing Belinda Bencic winning her first match in a grand slam. The current number 1 junior had qualified into the MD and she defeated Kimiko Date-Krumm today in three sets. She seemed really nervous at the start making loads of errors but once she found her rhythm she was able to hold serve and break many times. She signed my hat :) I'm super excited to see her and Stefi take on France at the Fed Cup. Stan also won so the Swiss are 2/2 today. Tomorrow it's Stefi and Roger's turn. I'm going to be so nervous.

Then I hopped from court to court, saw a bunch of sets but nothing in full. I left at 7.30pm. Tomorrow I'll stay later and hopefully get to see Monfil's night match inside MCA. It is always a great atmosphere the sessions in there. They've build a roof that is very brown and I didn't go inside today. Also Cornet's match doesn't clash with Voegele so that's great but I need to check what time she will have practice. Priorities. 

No comments:

Post a Comment