Wednesday, January 7, 2015

The return

Here I am. Back for another year of blogging my tennis adventures. As usual, I'll be going to Sydney and the first week of the Australian Open.

Looking forward to Stefi's return to Sydney. It's been a while and in the past she has done well in qualies there. Belinda Bencic will participate in the tournament for the first time which is also very exciting. I'm also looking forward to seeing old faces/tweeps at the tennis, people who love tennis as much as I do.

This year Sydney has changed their format so instead of having a day and night, they will have twilight sessions starting 3pm or so. In theory that sounds good. Less play during the heat of the day and better atmosphere. I can also get some stuff done and run errands before going to the tennis. On the other hand I don't yet know how I feel about having to wait hours until the gates open.

I am super excited to return to Melbourne. It is a fantastic city. I expect to go to at least one Minella practice session, every year Voegele practices with her without fail. Despite the quite awful experiences in a hostel last year, I'm trying my luck with a new one this time.

Seeing as though I'm 25 it seems still socially acceptable to be cheap. If it sucks/(since I'll be closer to 30 than 20) next year I will go to a proper hotel. The up side of only spending less than $400 on accommodation rather than $2,000 is that I have more to shop and spend on RLA tickets.

2 comments:

  1. Yay Kats!
    Luckily I saved the link to your blog and I was already checking it during the last days full of anticipation! And now I'm happy that you're blogging again. Most probably I will miss most of the tennis fun. When I was at uni, I sometimes came back early that I could catch the late stages of some of the night matches. I used to set the alarm clock about 15 mins earlier, too, but I don't think I will do it this year.
    Anyway, I'm looking forward to reading from you!
    And I don't see why you shouldn't get cheap accomodations even for the coming years. Age is only an argument when you're not feeling comfortable without a room for yourself. If you're fine with it, get the hostels and spend the money on something useful!

    Enjoyyyyyyy :)
    -M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey M, welcome back :) Sorry I was so lazy/tired to post the first one but it's ready now. Tschüß!

      Delete