Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Cloudy with a chance of sun

Day 2 of the tournament was better than the previous day which was pretty much rained out. It sprinkled at times, disrupting the first match but generally the weather was ok. It was windy and sometimes really hot for a moment. I couldn't be bothered with sunscreen so my face and neck were a teeny bit burned but it's not bad.

On my way there it was raining so I stopped by IKEA. It took almost 50 minutes to get out of the place so by the time I got out of there and to the tennis matches had just begun. I didn't watch a full match of anything throughout the whole day but I saw parts of many. During the Petko match my head was going into overdrive, with two Vietnamese men speaking to me right (which I understood completely), some German men behind me (which I could only pick out some words but wanted to know what they were saying) and some kids to the right speaking in English. The only thing missing would be Cantonese then I might as well not be concentrating on the tennis!

I was happy to get Hingis' autograph after her practice. She is still the most popular player but instead of signing for everyone and walking past us to get off the court, she decided to cut across the courts of some guys who were practicing lol. That is legend status right? Later on Belinda Bencic was practicing and while I was taking pictures of her, these really rude people came and demanded to know "whose that". A spectator told them her name and they were tying to find her in the Apia magazine but she wasn't in there and the crazy fans got mad. Moments later Alex Dulgheru comes and the lead crazy lady goes "I know who you are, I'm a huge fan, I want a photo". So Alex took a photo with her. Then the crazy lady tells her friend "ask her who she is, I swear I'm right". Instead the friend comes up to me and shows me a photo of Casey Dellacqua and asks me if that's her. After the crazy mob leaves I could hear Alex and her hitting partner laughing about it because they obviously knew that she didn't know who Alex was. That was such a weird experience. But I got a picture with Bencic when there were hardly anyone around which was great. Before she gets too famous.

Following this saga I watched a little more matches and then went to the city for the Federer-Hewitt fast4 match. I am so over legends doubles so that wasn't entertaining for me. There was a performance of two songs from these The Voice contestants and then the exhibition match lasted over 1:30 or so. Afterwards they had an extended on court interview which was nice. It was so funny sitting next to a massive Lleyton fan she got so excited when Hewitt won a point. I had great seats in the third row. Around the court there were corporate boxes and I could see some Australian cricketers and Guy Sebastian which was a bit random.

No comments:

Post a Comment